Day in history for November 8, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- There has been little going on in the police court over the past week. A few have been arrested for drunkenness with some of those discharged after being reprimanded for their conduct. Others were sent to jail.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Robert G. Ingersoll, the great lecturer who will speak at Harper's Theater Nov. 18 has chosen 'Great Infidels' as his subject.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Directors of the Union Electric Telephone and Telegraph Co. of Rock Island are considering the installation of dial telephones and an automatic exchange in this city.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island election records for early voting were shattered today with the noon total hitting 10,757. Indications were that the vote in the city would exceed 18,000.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- William J. Powers, son of Mr. and Mrs. L.J. Powers, Rock Island is the author of a play now being produced the Playwrights Workshop on the University of Illinois campus. The play is entitled,'Agamemnon, King'.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Trophies were presented at the 10th annual awards dinner-dance sponsored by the Rock Island Volunteer Auxiliary Police Wives. Trophies were awarded to Lt. Haney, range expert; Albert Kittredge, Rookie of the Year; Aux. Chief John Neary, Command Officer of the Year, among others.
Back: Available days in November 2007