Day in history for November 27, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The baggage man at the Buffalo depot handled a trunk in his usual slam-bang manner and threw it down with such force as to explode a pistol within. The pistol shot, in turn, exploded a can of gunpowder - which exploded the trunk, knocking the baggage man down.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Three hundred tickets for Chicago were sold today by the Rock Island Lines in view of the 50 cent rate. It seems as though everyone is planning to visit over the weekend.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- William M. Reck was elected presidnet of the Rock Island Boosters Club composed of members of 50 who raised the $100,000 Rock Island new factory fund.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Formal notice was received yesterday from the Federal Radio Commission for the transfer of the license of WHBF from the Beardsley Specialty Co., to the Rock Island Broadcasting Co., an affiliate of The Argus.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Amidst fears caused by Sputniks, intercontinental ballistic missiles and rumors of war, the Quad-cities will pause to join the nation in giving thanks for its many blessings.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- One hundred sixty-nine cases of meales have been reported among school children in Flordia, Rock Island county communicable disease coordinator, said no cases have been reported here in the past 18 months.
Back: Available days in November 2007