Day in history for November 25, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A large number of immigrants arrived yesterday from the East. They were principally of German and Swedish ancestry.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The electric tower circuit was tested this afternoon and found to be working admirably. Everyone is waiting for a dark night so that they may see just how useful the lights will be.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The liveliest of interest is being evinced in Rock Island in Walker Whiteside's appearance at the Illinois Theater next Friday in his new play, 'The Claim of Blood.'
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- A coalition of Democratic members of the Rock Island City Council is said to favor Ald. William L. Young for the post of temporary mayor of the city. Young is expected to get some Republican votes as well. Mayor Chester Thompson will resign Feb. 15 to assume his duties as 14th district congressman.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- For the third consecutive year, Augustana College debaters won first place at the National Invitational Debate Conference held at Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Thomas Leon, President of North American Amusement Co., Rock Island, won the Leonard Thompson Trophy at the convention in Kansas City, for 'the most meritorious exhibit of arcade and coin operated amusement devices.'
Back: Available days in November 2007