Day in history for November 23, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Elder Alexander Campbell of Bethany, Va., will preach in the Second Presbyterian Church this evening.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- At a very early hour this morning, a gale sprang up from the northwest which shook window fastenings so thoroughly as to awaken all save the soundest sleepers.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Florence Johnson in 'Cupid at Vassar' won her audience completely at the Illinois Theater last night.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Ben A. Jacobson, president of the Tri-City Federation of Labor, last night declared to the 7th Ward Republican Club that he will be a candidate for the Republican nomination for mayor of Rock Island.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Silvis Community Chest once again topped its annual goal, according to final figures released today. Contributions collected to date have totaled $3,962. The goal of this year's drive was $3,650.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Salvation Army in the Quad-Cities has seen a recent surge of need this year over previous years. A 300 percent increase in cases and number of people reveals that the present unemployment surge has affected thousands more. The Salvation Army in Rock Island has set a goal of $25,000 to help meet the needs of those in this local area this Christmas season.
Back: Available days in November 2007