Day in history for November 21, 2007

1857 -- 150 years ago
Large blocks of ice were floating in the river today. If the weather continues as cold for a short time longer, the river soon will be closed.

1882 -- 125 years ago
Mitchell And Lynde's new bank building front was scraped this morning preparatory to repainting.

1907 -- 100 years ago
Two horses were injured last night when they ran away with a buggy and were hit by a Long View street car.

1932 -- 75 years ago
Army engineers of the Rock Island District estimated that the Rock Island roller dam, Davenport sea wall and intercepting sewer project were 60 per cent completed when taken as a unit. Installation of the first huge gate of the roller dam is practically finished.

1957 -- 50 years ago
Rock Islanders have more schooling than most people in this country, according to figures obtained from the Department of Health, Welfare and Education. The average person in Rock Island has 10.6 years of schooling while the national average is 9.3 years.

1982 -- 25 years ago
First National notes its 130th Anniversary. In 1852, Cook and Sargent, Exchange and Banking House opened at the corner of 2nd Ave. And 17th St. Cook and Sargent were successful attorneys and land owners. Through changes, it was to become the oldest continually operating bank in the Quad-Cities.

Back: Available days in November 2007

Local events heading

  Today is Saturday, Aug. 23, the 235th day of 2014. There are 130 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Telegraph reports state that, about 6 o'clock on the evening of the 20th, Quantrill, with about 800 of his thieves and robbers, surrounded Lawrence, Kan., and burned it to the ground.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Newton Beer's production of "Lost in London," which had a successful run for three seasons, was presented at Harper's Theater.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The German army commanded by Fran Duke Albrecht of Wurtemburg defeated the French army at Neufchmtenu.
1939 -- 75 years ago: John Deere Harvester Works in East Moline is starting a four-story, $104,000 addition to the combine assembly building.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Short Hills Country Club held onto its lead yesterday despite a rally by host Davenport Country Club and claimed the team title in the Sunshine Cup golf series.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Quad-Citians can look forward to more excitement and fun at this year's Rock Island Labor Day parade at 9:30 a.m. Sept 4, say organizers. This years theme is "Celebrate Rock Island."

(More History)