Day in history for November 18, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- In Rock Island County the Democrats elected a school commissioner and the Republicans the balance of the ticket.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- John M. Reticker, sheriff-elect, today filed his official bond with the county clerk.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island County clerk and treasurer were notified today that a rate of 50 cents on every $100 of equalized assessment of property has been fixed for state taxes this year.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- More than 500 persons attended the second community night program presented last night at Washington Junior High School under the auspices of the Rock Island Playground and Recreation Commission.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The first social function, a dance of the newly-formed Milan Civic Center Youth Club, was held in the new Milan Muncipal Building. The dance was termed 'a huge success' and will be followed by a membership drive to bring more of the community's young people.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- David R. Collins, Moline author and English instructor at Wilson Junior High, has been cited by the National Book Council for 'outstanding contributions to the artistry and craftsmanship of juvenile literature'. 'George Washington Carver' and 'Francis Scott Key' were the most recent books by Collins singled out for special acclaim.
Back: Available days in November 2007