Day in history for November 14, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Young men should keep out of Rock Island if they want to avoid temptations dire and dark. Go to farming.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island bankers today reported that a new counterfeit dollar is in circulation. Dated 1881, it has excellent workmanship and is in general, well made.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The board of directors of the Rock Island Visiting Nurse Assn. has chosen a committee to select a nurse and to direct operations for the beginning of work in this city.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The goal of the Rock Island Community Chest campaign to be held next week was set at $30,000 at a meeting of the budget committee yesterday afternoon. The goal for the first half of the year was $25,000.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The grand opening of Kent Shoes remodeled store will be held Friday and Saturday. The store was formerly occupied by Harry Lefstein's. There are over 13,000 pairs of family shoes including Buster Brown, Red Cross and Florsheims.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- John and Helen Danay, parents of Pfc. Jerry Lee Danay, who was killed in Vietnam in March, 1971, were in Washington, D.C., to help commemorate the new Vietnam War Memorial. She and her family visited the memorial, engraved with 50,000 names, three or four times a day for the five days they were in Washington.
Back: Available days in November 2007