Day in history for October 8, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The concert that comes off this evening at Smith's Hall should be remembered by our citizens. Although times are tight and money is scarce, people want amusement as much now as ever they did.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The ground has been much too dry for farmers to do their fall plowing until recently, and now the soaking rains of the last few days have made the soil too soggy for any work in the fields.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- An old-time fiddler contest has been arranged by the firemen of Rock Island to be held at the Illinois Theater Oct. 15 with the proceeds to be added to the firemen's benefit fund.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Two perfect third-quarter passes from half-back Kenneth Johnson to end Joe Means broke a deadlock and gave the Rock Island High School football team a 12-6 victory over Kewanee in a thrilling Big Nine conference game.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A recommendation that the main building of the present Moline High School be made available after the new high school is opened for use by Moline Community College was presented last night to the board of education.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Unemployment shattered the double-figure barrier in September for the first time since the end of the Great Depression, soaring to 10.1 percent with 11.3 million Americans jobless.
Back: Available days in October 2007