Day in history for October 5, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Two Rock Island men appeared before Magistrate Bean, charged with being drunk. The men were not fined when they gave their word not to get drunk again.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Plans for a businessmen's association are being formulated in this city to promote the industrial and commercial interests of Rock Island. The first meeting of the group will be Oct. 9.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. W.G. Oglevee, pastor of the Mediapolis, Iowa, Presbyterian Church has been called to the Broadway Presbyterian Church of this city as assistant pastor and will arrive in Rock Island to preach his first sermon Sunday
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island American Legion Post No. 200 considered plans last night for the establishment of a new club room. The post formerly had a club room in the south wing of the city hall.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island is the largest of 89 out of 151 Illinois cities with a population of 5,000 or more to report no traffic fatalities during the first six months of 1957.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- At least four dead pigeons were found in downtown Moline, and city officials fear they may have died after eating poisoned apples. A doctor in Centrallia, said it is more likely the birds died at their roosting spots after eating grain treated with insecticide.
Back: Available days in October 2007