Day in history for October 31, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Gillet has given us the November issue of 'Emerson's Magazine.' It has several finely illustrated articles and is full of pleasant reading.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Work was resumed yesterday in every department of the B.D. Buford Company Plow Works. The job of installing the new steam heating plant has been completed.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Corn in Rock Island County has averaged 38 bushels an acre this year, according to reports issued by the Illinois Department of Agriculture. The quality has been given at 85% of normal.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The new general secretary of the Rock Island YMCA, Clinton Lane, arrived in Rock Island this evening to begin his duties as head of the association.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Albert M. Parker, who established the Parker Laundry back in 1888, is celebrating his 91st birthday today. Although he is 25 years beyond legal retirement age, he still goes to work regularly. He and his wife also celebrated their 67th wedding anniversary on Tuesday.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Dr. William Totherow, associate professor of chemistry at Marycrest College, has been nominated for the Iowa Governor's Medal in Science for Teaching. The medal is awarded in three categories-teaching, research and application.
Back: Available days in October 2007