Day in history for October 30, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- There ia very little water on the upper rapids. Several boats have run aground on them in the past few days.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Uncle Tom's Cabin company paraded the streets of Rock Island yesterday as an advertisement for their show tonight. They attracted a good deal of attention with the pet pony and the three bloodhounds.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Twin-City Clearing House Assn. was formed yesterday at a meeting of bankers from Rock Island and Moline. Phil Mitchell of the Rock Island State Bank was elected first president.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- About 5,000 students in Rock Island public and parochial schools have signed pledges not to damage or remove property on Halloween and all who keep their promise will be entertained at a free show Nov.5 at the Fox Theater as guests of the Rock Island merchants.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- An eight month remodeling and store improvement project, carried out at an estimated cost of $130,000, will be commemorated by a grand reopening event at Rock Island's Montgomery Ward store.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A depression-style tent village was set up in Davenport's LeClaire Park called 'Reagan Ranch'. It's message was 'Trickledown theory is not treat' in opposition to the Reagan administration's 'Reaganomics' policies.
Back: Available days in October 2007