Day in history for October 3, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Chicago bankers have thrown out Florence money, but we cannot see why this should alarm holders in this city. Our bankers take it without saying a word against it.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- After the election excitement has been concluded in November, a veterans' association will be organized in Rock Island, it was reported today by the leaders of several Civil War regiments.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Harry Goff, Rock Island, champion trick and fancy roller skater of the world, has been billed for next week at the Family Theater.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Plans were completed today for a fitting welcome to President Hoover in Rock Island tomorrow when his special train will stop here en route to Des Moines where he will deliver his first address of the campaign tomorrow night.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island Arsenal employees received $515 in awards for work suggestions submitted last month. Savings to the government because of these suggestions totaled $4,106.91, according to the Arsenal office of public information.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- David Morrell, PhD., is full professor of American literature at the University of Iowa. He is the author of five novels, one of which will be released this month. His first book, 'First Blood,' has been made into a $20-million movie.
Back: Available days in October 2007