Day in history for October 29, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Coal Valley Mining Co. has coal at reduced rates and the Carbon Cliff Co. is determined not to be beaten. Now is the time to get your winter supply.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Gas Co. has been notified that its services in lighting the streets will not be required after Oct. 31 as it is hoped that the streets will not be in use before long.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Grading and the work of widening the Sears Canal at the Rock River was begun today in preparation for the construction of a huge water power electric plant at that point.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Margaret Strang, Rock Island, took first place in the Big Nine girls' declamation contest at the Geneseo Township High School. She read the selection, 'Eyes of the Blind.'
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Susan McDonald, Rock Island harpist and winner of the 1955 Grand Prize of the Paris Conservatory in France, made a guest appearance on the NBC-TV's Today Show and thoroughly captivated the program's emcee Dave Garroway.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Illinois Quad-Cities posted the state's highest unemployment rate in September, with 18.9 percent joblessness, the state Labor Department reported today. In September, 1981, joblessness in the Illinois Quad-Cities was at 8.9 percent.
Back: Available days in October 2007