Day in history for October 28, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The members of Western Engine Company No. 1 will meet at the engine house tonight. George Carton is foreman of the company.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The river packets are doing an immense freighting business this fall. The boats are being loaded as heavily as possible in order to move as much as they can before the river closes.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Bankers of Rock Island and Moline will meet tonight at the Rock Island Club to discuss the financial situation and the organization of a clearing house association.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Monmouth will try to upset Augustana College for the third succesive year to put the Vikings out of the race for the Little 10 championship when the Scots invade Ericson Field tomorrow night.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A new name was adopted for the United Jewish Federation at the annual dinner meeting last night at the Tri-City Jewish Center in Rock Island. The group will be known as the United Jewish Charities of Rock Island County.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- An exhibit illustrating the history of the short-lived Black Hawk War on its sesquicentennial is currently on display at Denkmann Library at Augustana College, featuring some rare Indian artifacts, copies of documents related to the campaign and a model of a typical Indian village.
Back: Available days in October 2007