Day in history for October 25, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We saw new corn sell yesterday at 30 cents per bushel. Produce is coming in, in large quantities.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Last night was so much warmer than usual for this time of the year that several mosquitoes left over from last summer's stock put in an appearance.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Mayor Schaffer of Rock Island spoke on 'Relations of the Mayor and City Clerk' at the opening session of the convention of the State Association of Mayors and City Clerks in Jacksonville today.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island High School declamation team gained a sizable lead over Moline and East Moline in the first round of the annual triangular meet yesterday. Margaret Strang of Rock Island won first place.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Moline Lutheran Hospital, 506 5th Ave., will hold open house and a formal dedication program this weekend to mark completion of a three-year $1,225,000 expansion and improvement program.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- William A. Hewitt was sworn in as U.S. ambassador to Jamaica today, marking the end of 34 years with Deere And Co., 27 of which he spent as chief executive of the nation's 5th largest corporation. Hewitt, 68, accompanied by his wife, Tish, and three children, was sworn in at the posh eighth floor Ben Franklin Room at the State Department.
Back: Available days in October 2007