Day in history for October 24, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Lowry, Thomas And Co. is furnishing their superior coal delivered at 10 cents per bushel.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Gen. William T. Sherman, accompanied by Adjutant Gen. Drum and Sec. Lincoln, paid a brief visit to this city after inspecting the Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The first anniversary of the abolition of intercollegiate athletics at Augustana College was observed last night with a student demonstration.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Frank J. Budelier, of the H.H. Cleaveland Agency, Rock Island, was again named second vice president of the Illinois Insurance Agents at their convention in Quincy.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A new manufacturing building will be constructed at John Deere Wagon Works, Moline. The new building will be located on the north side of 3rd Ave. between 7th and 8th Sts. It will be just west of the Deere And Co. medical center building.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Two Rock Island educators have been honored in a state competition sponsored by the Illinois State Board of Education. Jane Grahlmann, president of the Rock Island-Milan Board of Education has been named a plaque winner in the 'Those Who Excel' Educational Awards Program, and James R. Davis, an administrator for District No. 41 schools, has been named a certificate winner.
Back: Available days in October 2007