Day in history for October 24, 2007

1857 -- 150 years ago
Lowry, Thomas And Co. is furnishing their superior coal delivered at 10 cents per bushel.

1882 -- 125 years ago
Gen. William T. Sherman, accompanied by Adjutant Gen. Drum and Sec. Lincoln, paid a brief visit to this city after inspecting the Rock Island Arsenal.

1907 -- 100 years ago
The first anniversary of the abolition of intercollegiate athletics at Augustana College was observed last night with a student demonstration.

1932 -- 75 years ago
Frank J. Budelier, of the H.H. Cleaveland Agency, Rock Island, was again named second vice president of the Illinois Insurance Agents at their convention in Quincy.

1957 -- 50 years ago
A new manufacturing building will be constructed at John Deere Wagon Works, Moline. The new building will be located on the north side of 3rd Ave. between 7th and 8th Sts. It will be just west of the Deere And Co. medical center building.

1982 -- 25 years ago
Two Rock Island educators have been honored in a state competition sponsored by the Illinois State Board of Education. Jane Grahlmann, president of the Rock Island-Milan Board of Education has been named a plaque winner in the 'Those Who Excel' Educational Awards Program, and James R. Davis, an administrator for District No. 41 schools, has been named a certificate winner.

Back: Available days in October 2007



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)