Day in history for October 21, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The assortment of cloaks and mantillas to be found in Whitaker And Everts Store is the best in the city. They also feature ladies scarves and fur goods.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- This noon there was an extraordinary pig chase in Market Square. The animal escaped while being weighed and was recovered only after a chase down 2nd Avenue.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Postmaster H.A.J. McDonald has issued a statement showing that 213,922 pieces of mail originated in Rock Island last week with a resulting revenue of $2,446.06.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- State Rep. Michael L. Igoe of Chicago, minority leader of the house, will address a rally of Rock Island County Democrats tonight at the Masonic Temple. He will speak in behalf of the candidacy of Judge Henry Horner of Chicago, Democratic nominee for governor.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Henry C. Borden, 2926 31st St., Rock Island, was elected president of the Rock Island Kiwanis Club at a luncheon meeting at the Fort Armstrong Hotel. He will succeed Robert J. Sinnett at the first meeting in January.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- National Amusements Inc. of Boston Wednesday broke ground for the Razz-Ma-Tazz Pizza Palace, an amusement-restaurant center next to Showcase Cinemas on U.S. 67 in Milan. It is scheduled to open in late April.
Back: Available days in October 2007