Day in history for October 20, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Illinois Central Railroad Co. invites the attention of farmers to the fertile lands adjacent to their road which are offered for sale upon low terms and long credit at low rates of interest.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Mr. Drew, canvasser for the Encyclopedia Britannica, has taken orders for the books in Rock Island, Moline, Milan and Davenport aggregating $15,120.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The village board of Silvis drafted a telephone franchise to be presented to the Union Telephone Co. of Rock Island in the event the company extends its service to Silvis.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Application was made to the federal radio commission at Washington, D.C., for transfer of the license of radio station WHBF in Rock Island from the Beardsley Specialty Co. to a new corporation to be known as the Rock Island Broadcasting Co.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Appointments of Donald D. Karr as circulation manager of The Argus and Lawrence V. Lund as city circulation manager were announced today.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- 'Heroes' is the name of a recently completed film celebrating Hispanics who have fought and died defending the United States during wartime. Tony Terronez, a Silvis resident who helped make the film, screened the movie for the Silvis City Council at its Tuesday meeting.
Back: Available days in October 2007