Day in history for October 16, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Next Monday has been fixed as the day for election of aldermen to take the the place of Mr. Lynde and Mr. Truesdale. The people should see that their succors are men who will go for the interests of the city.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Crowds of young and old adorned the Bengston corner yesterday waiting for an opportunity to patronize the new Milan Line. Every car to Milan was loaded from end to end.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Since the 1st of September, all mail handled by the Rock Island Post Office has been weighed in accordance with government orders. A total of 52,708 pounds was handled.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- 'The Phantom President,' a timely and hilarious political comedy featuring George M. Cohan, Claudette Colbert and Jimmy Durante, opened at the Fort Theater. The picture marks the debut of Cohan.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island's first corporation counsel is the first woman ever appointed to a city legal job. Dorothea O'Dean, 3925 24th St., was named to the city's controversial number two legal post last night by City Manager Gordon A. Stearns.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Champions of rolle bolle's Western League were awarded their trophies by league president Wilbur Bender and treasurer Ken Sturtewagen. The champions are Toots Causemaker, Ken Suhr and Art Borgonjon.
Back: Available days in October 2007