Day in history for October 14, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Hugh Livingston of Camden has favored us with a specimen of molasses made from Chinese sugar cane grown on his farm.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The remodeled Rock Island Post Office was formally opened this morning. The office is now equipped with 1,500 lock boxes.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- At the meeting of the city council Alderman Anderson presented an ordinance providing that the name of Long View Park be changed to Jackson Park. It will be considered at a later meeting.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Reductions on tax assessments were granted on 885 of 1,502 cases in which complaints were made and assessed values in Rock Island County were lowered a total of $374,304.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- At least 73 cases of flu tested by a bacteriologist at the University of Iowa were definitely of the Asian type. The epidemic broke out at the Iowa university on about Sept 17th. As many as 125 students per day were being treated but the number has now dropped to about 25 per day.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Illinois Department of Corrections officials assigned a top level Chicago attorney to represent them in their case against former East Moline Correctional Security Capt. Don Smith after deciding the case was too complicated or sensitive for the state attorney general's office to handle.
Back: Available days in October 2007