Day in history for October 12, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We are glad to see Mr. Huggins, the popular clerk at the Rock Island House, back at his old job once more.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Squire Cropper sighted a fox near the public square early this morning. The animal disappeared in a hole in the sidewalk although a hunt was organized, the fox eluded capture.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- L.S. McCabe was elected president of the Rock Island Safety Deposit Co. at the annual meeting of the stockholders yesterday. The company's new building will be ready for occupancy by the first of the year.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Pupils of School District No. 43 may be barred from attending Rock Island elementary and junior high schools unless the board of directors of that district finds a way to meet the entire expense involved in the education of these children, it was announced at a meeting of the Rock Island Board of Education.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Lt. Donald Wittevrongel 27, of Rock Island has been credited with performing a remarkable feat by landing his crippled Air Force refueling plane single handedly. He is praised for bringing the 1000,000-pound tanker down alone.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- International Harvester has been ordered to pay Deere And Co, $28.4 Million for willfully infringing Deere's cornhead patent from 1974 through 1980.
Back: Available days in October 2007