Day in history for October 11, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Squire Swander wishes us to say that he means what he says in his advertisement.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Several cities above the Rock Island are hatching a scheme to bring the proposed Hennepin Canal to the river above the Rock Island rapids, but officials here are still hopeful of having the outlet near this city.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Argus reported today that the big turbine liner Lusitania ended the fastest trip ever made across the Atlantic when it was docked at New York after crossing from Ireland in four days, 19 hours and 17 minutes.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- About 80 Rock Island County church and Sunday School leaders enrolled in the leadership training school which opened last night at the South Park Presbyterian Church. The classwork is being sponsored by The Rock Island County Council of Religious Education and will continue for five more days.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island Navy Mothers Unit 343 last night made plans for the annual tag day to be held Oct 19 in Rock Island. Mrs. A.F. Wellver is chairman.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- After copping the top honor in amateur body building, Dale Ruplinger has his eye on turning professional. Mr. Ruplinger was named Mr. Universe Saturday in the middlewieght class in the competition held in Brussels, Belgium.
Back: Available days in October 2007