Day in history for September 5, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- It would not be a bad idea to have the walls of our city council adorned with large photographs of our mayors, past and present.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- E.D. Sweeney was elected president of the board of directors of the Rock Island Public Library at an organization meeting. Major H.C. Connelly was named secretary.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. Joseph DeSilva of Rock Island was elected president of the board of trustees for the institution of the feeble-minded in Lincoln, Ill. yesterday.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Thousands of persons attended outdoor celebrations in the Quad Cities over Labor Day weekend. A throng estimated at about 10,000 was attracted to Credit Island today for the annual picnic of the Tri-City Federation of Labor.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The most spectacular display of aurora borealis this year occurred from 9 to 11 last night. Dr. Carl Gamble, Moline amateur astronomer, described the northern lights as a 'grand display.' He said, 'I haven't seen the likes of it in 15 years.'
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The first 10 condominium units of Forsberg Christian Retirement Center at 23rd Ave. and 1st St. A, Moline, are expected to be ready for residents in November. General contractor for the $450,000 project is Watson-Harness Construction, Milan.
Back: Available days in September 2007