Day in history for September 4, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We are under obligation to Gen. Tuxbury who returned from Minnesota last Wednesday with a bountiful supply of speckled trout and was kind enough to give several to us.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The rock pile at the city armory has been replenished and the vagrant and tramp under arrest will find that exercise for the public good is not the most agreeable employment.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The 48th school year of Augustana College began yesterday. The school enrollment has increased greatly over that of last year.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- One of the strongest precinct organizations that Democrats of Mercer County have known is being perfected to advance the candidacy of Rock Island Mayor Chester Thompson for election as congressman from the 14th District, it was announced today.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council last night adopted, on first reading, an ordinance annexing 46 acres of land which extends the city limits in the east section of the community to Rock River.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- If fans attending the opening St. Ambrose football game with William Penn College think they are seeing double at Brady Street Stadium tonight, they probably are. Three sets of twins are in the starting lineups for the two schools.
Back: Available days in September 2007