Day in history for September 3, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- C.B. Knox, city undertaker, today announced that the total dead in Rock Island over the past eight months is 71. Of that number, 45 were children.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A new horse and wagon have been secured for the use of the Rock Island police. The horse will never be known as a beauty, but it is said he can scent a burgler at a distance.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A good sized audience was at the Rock Island Armory last night to see the Marconi wireless telegraph work.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- In a beautiful exhibition of golf, marking one of the hardest fought finals matches in the history of the Tri-City Golf Tournament, Lloyd Nordstorm of Davenport, Credit Island star, was one up for the first 18 holes over Dr. Paul Barton of the Davenport Country Club. The match was staged at the Rock Island Arsenal links.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Four hundred and fifty seniors began classes today in Moline High School and they comprise the last class expected to be graduated from the 43-year-old structure on the 16th Street hill. Next fall, the new $4,500,000 high school building on 23rd Avenue and 41st Street is expected to open its doors.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A full weekend of fun, food and festivities starts tonight when the 25th Annual Milan Indian Summer Festival gets under way.
Back: Available days in September 2007