Day in history for September 28, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Deyo, the vegetable and fruit benefactor, has just received a lot of splendid peaches from St. Louis which he is selling below cost.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The electric tower foundations in the upper end of the city are nearing completion and are in condition to receive the iron framework.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Edgewood Baptist Church, which has been moved to a new location at 44th St. and 5th Ave. will be dedicated at services to be held tomorrow afternoon.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The board of directors of the Servus Rubber Co., Rock Island, today announced the retirement of T.A. Maguire as president and general manager. The action was taken at a meeting of the board last evening. No announcement was made regarding a successor.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The first annual Rock Island Pet and Pals parade, drawing at least 500 entrants,literally was a 'howling' success in the loop area this morning.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A labor dispute is threatening to sink the scheduled five-week run of 'On Golden Pond' at Circa 21 Dinner Playhouse. The Illinois Department of Labor suspended the work permit it issued for one of the play's stars -- 15-year-old Shawn Lee Mlekush of Rock Island. The department ruled that Mlekush couldn't work in a place where alcholic beverages are served.
Back: Available days in September 2007