Day in history for September 24, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday morning two horses hitched to a wagon loaded with lumber ran away on Madison Street. The driver held on manfully until he managed to stop them.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Republican meeting in Union Park last night was fairly well attended by postal clerks and other government employees. A few other citizens also were present.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The present season promises to be the last one for clammers along the Rock River as the mussel supply has so diminished that digging is no longer profitable.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Things took on a bright aspect on the 1932 Rock Island High School football horizon last night as the Rocks opened their season with an impressive victory over Savanna, 19-0. Coach Kenneth F. Greene used 28 players in the game. Kenneth Johnson, all-around athlete and captain of the track team, was the shining light as he gained 105 yards on the ground in runs from his halfback position.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- About 45 women employees at Buddy L Co., East Moline, were idled today because the paint oven broke down, plant officials said.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A group of about 50 Rock Island residents began organizing a drive Thursday night to stop Jewel-Osco Stores from purchasing the city-owned lot at 24th Street and 18th Avenue.
Back: Available days in September 2007