Day in history for September 23, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The loafers on Water Street, since our notice the other day, have disappeared to a great extent.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Not a single document was filed in the Rock Island County clerk's office yesterday. This is a very rare occurrence, taking place but once or twice a year.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Val J. Peters of Rock Island was elected president of the German-American Press Association of Illinois at the annual convention of the organization at Peoria yesterday.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Seventy-five attended the banquet of the Rock Island County Women's Christian Temperance Union last night at the South Park Presbyterian Church.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Contractors and members of the Quad-City Association of Home Builders today looked for a record attendance at the 1957 'Parade of Homes' after an estimated 60,000 trooped through the exhibits Sunday. Dave Thoensen, association secretary, said the opening day's attendance sets a new record and is 2,000 more than last year's first day attendance.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Greta Marshall, Moline, director of investments for Deere And Co. has been named to the Gannon-Proctor Commission by Governor James Thompson. The panel will study ways to eliminate legal, social and economic discrimination against women.
Back: Available days in September 2007