Day in history for September 22, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The well known tavern stand on Front Street, Rock Island, the Pennsylvania House, is offered for sale. Apply to R. Graham in this city, or J.H. Early, corner of Front and Main Streets, opposite ferry landing, in Davenport.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island is considered one of the best show towns of its size in the west. A number of shows have appeared here lately, and yet Buffalo Bill and his company managed to attract a $735 audience last night.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Engineers of the McKinley syndicate operators of a number of interurban lines in central Illinois arrived today to begin surveying a line from Rock Island to Peoria.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Protected by Henry County officers and state highway police, 30 Alpha miners passed through picket lines established near the Shuler mine early this morning and continued operations at the $5 basic wage scale which has been the cause of strikes in central and southern Illinois.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Burton E. Peek, director of Deere And Co., was awarded an honorary membership in the Farm Equipment Institute, in recognition of his long years of service to the industry.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- William A. Hewitt breezed through a Senate confirmation hearing, well on his way to becoming the U.S. ambassador to Jamaica.
Back: Available days in September 2007