Day in history for September 20, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Ralph G. Knight has been appointed a clerk in the post office in Rock Island.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Negro residents of Rock Island and Moline will celebrate the anniversary of their emancipation next Friday at Brook's Grove. A street parade, baseball game and barbecue have been scheduled.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. S. S. Cryer, who has been supply pastor of the Central Presbyterian Church for the past 10 months, was extended a call to become regular pastor of the church at a meeting of the congregation.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- A new and louder call for economy in the operation of the Rock Island municipal government will be heard Friday night when the City Council meets as a committee of the whole, Ald. Herbert C. Smith, Charles E. Johnson and Earl C. Dean presented their request to Mayor Chester Thompson for a general consideration of city finances.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island Post No. 200, American Legion, will honor its champion Little League baseball team at a testimonial dinner Saturday night.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- For $25 a plate, residents of the new 17th Congressional District can eat breakfast with Vice President George Bush, who will be campaigning in the Quad-Cities Sept. 28 for Republican congressional candidate Ken McMillan of Bushnell.
Back: Available days in September 2007