Day in history for September 14, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The good people who live around Union Square are kept awake at night by the mournful bleating of calves which are kept in an enclosure there.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- J.L. Hass was elected president of the Rock Island Turner Society at the annual meeting of the association. J. Ohlweiler was elected vice president.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The County Board of Supervisors elected Dr. J.C. Souders physician for the poor of Rock Island to fill the unexpired term of Dr. C.J.F. Rochow.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- An inspired Rock Island team took the opener of the 'little world series' as they downed Davenport, 2-1, on a two-out triple in the ninth inning by Hal Schmidt which scored Adolph Wrobel, winning hurler, from first.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Births in Rock Island during August totaled 79, including 41 boys and 38 girls, City Clerk William J. Tacey Jr., city registrar, announced today.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Illinois Department of Labor's unemployment compensation division has begun its move into the former Woolworth building on 5th Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets in downtown Moline. The move from 1510 6th Ave. will bring a staff of 14 full-time and 11 part-time employees to first-floor offices in the building, which has been vacant since the early 1960s.
Back: Available days in September 2007