Day in history for September 13, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We notice that the name of the City Hotel has been changed to the Vermont Hotel.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Last evening the new play, 'A Square Man,' was given for the first time in this city and attracted a good sized audience to Harper's Theater.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A report made to the Board of Education last night by Superintendent H.B. Hayden showed the enrollment in the schools to be 2,829 which is 92 less than last year.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The 'little world series' opens tonight at Douglas Park with Rock Island playing the second half champions, Davenport, for the title in a best-of-seven series. If weather conditions continue favorable, the turnout for the initial game will be between 4,000 and 4,500.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Friday the 13th smiled on Rock Island High School students. They had an unexpected half-day off. Thanks to a broken six-inch water main on the 25th Ave. entrance to the building, the water had to be turned off in the building to make repairs.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Former Rock Island Alleman athlete Mark Johnson was recently hired as an assistant wrestling coach at the University of Iowa. Johnson, who wrestled at 198 pounds for the U.S. Olympic team, is a former All-American at Michigan and a former Mr. Florida.
Back: Available days in September 2007