Day in history for September 12, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A new bowling saloon has been opened by Mr. Downey under the Rock Island House.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The roustabouts of the steamer Pittsburgh yesterday struck for higher wages while the boat was at the Rock Island wharf. Their salary was raised to $30 per month.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island's hopes for a Three-I League pennant brightened considerably yesterday when the Islanders trounced Cedar Rapids and Bloomington downed Decatur in both games of a double header.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island children gathered up their books this morning and started back to school to begin another year of study.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Clarence L. Sturm of Manawa, Wis., a member of the board of directors of CARE, will speak at a Lions Roar event Sunday when the Moline Lions Club will be host to 42 clubs in west-central Illinois. Registration will begin at 1:30 p.m. at the Moline Legion Building.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- An afternoon of dancing and fun was held this week on board the Julia II excursion boat. The passengers included 130 members of the Moline Senior Citizen Center, 620 18th St., said Lynn E. Wilkinson, director at the center. A band played music for dancing and listening, and refreshments were served. Later on, a sing-a-long was held.
Back: Available days in September 2007