Day in history for September 11, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A glass of sparkling soda drawn from the chilled fountain at Cook's new drug store is a luxury these days with the mercury reading 90 and upwards.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The attendance in the Rock Island public schools during the past week was about 1,700 pupils.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The steamer Columbia of the Carnival City Packet Company and the steamer Sidney of the Diamond Jo Lines will make their last trip north for the season.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- An unmasked bandit obtained approximately $20 in a holdup at the George H. Walker department store, 4011 7th Ave., Rock Island, and escaped in a waiting truck.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Indian dancing by both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and fly casting, target shooting, archery and rolle bolle exhibitions will be included in the varied program for the second annual Scout-O-Rama to be held by the City of Rock Island at Sunset Park Sunday.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Movie star Burt Reynolds gave the boys at Arrowhead Ranch in Coal Valley the coat off his back, and it will be among the items for sale during the 10th annual ranch round-up and auction Sunday. Reynolds responded to a letter for auction assistance by sending a jacket he wore in the movie 'Sharkey's Machine,' said ranch staffer Ray McCollum.
Back: Available days in September 2007