Day in history for August 9, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- For several days we have been advertising Moore And Meighan's Grocery Store as being on the corner of Rock Island and Madison Streets. There is no such street as Rock Island Street in this city. The store is on Illionis and Madison Streets.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The poll tax has been ordered to be collected and the street commissioner will soon have his hands full. Work on the streets is now at a standstill because of lack of funds.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Charles Bigney, Boston swimmer swam across the river to Davenport and back in 43 minutes before a crowd of 3,500 yesterday. The return was made in 18 minutes and 22 seconds.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Construction operations at the site of the Rock Island Locks and roller dam will be inspected late next week by a high official of the Army Engineer Corps.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. Frank Hill, Rock Island, a patient at the Rock Island County Tuberculosis Sanatorium, yesterday received a 'helping hand' from another Rock Islander, Mrs. Arlene Sweeney, in the form of an automatic washer and drier.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Federal budget cuts are forcing Rock Island-Milan public school officials to drop a high-school remedial reading program and to slash the program in half at the elementary and junior high level.
Back: Available days in August 2007