Day in history for August 8, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The members of the Young Men's Catholic Association are requested to meet at St. James Catholic Church Sunday.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The locations of the nine towers that will carry the new electric lights have been decided upon. Each section of the city will be awarded one of the towers.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Twin-City Driving Association of Rock Island was incorporated today and will hold its first race Aug. 27 to 30 at the 9th Street track. Running races will be held later in the season.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Efforts to reduce mothers' pensions in Rock Island County by about $3,000 were the subject of a conference today among members of the county board committee on public welfare and Judge George D. Long. Mothers' pensions in the county total about $35,000 a year.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- At a special meeting of the board to the auxiliary of St. Anthony's Hospital last night, Margaret MacDonald was appointed president.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- One East Moline trucker has littered his home with rows of glittering trophies. Testimony to his driving skills, Eldon Bostic skillfully wheeled 8-foot-wide vehicles from 30 feet to 60 feet around barricades.
Back: Available days in August 2007