Day in history for August 7, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Through the neglect of the county clerk, the papers in the ferry appeal case were not sent up to the circuit court in time for trial in the last term. The ferry company gets an opportunity to collect its old high rates of toll all summer.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The city rock pile was formally opened this morning in the Rock Island Armory yard where rock has been placed for that purpose. A large crowd gathered to watch the first workers.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Trustees of the $100,000 Rock Island new factory fund voted last night to request all subscribers to pay their first installment of 20 per cent. A total of $135,000 was subscribed.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The sweetheart team of the screen, Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell, appear in 'The First Year,' their latest flim now playing at the Fort Theater in Rock Island.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The annual Perseid Meteor Shower will be observed by the Popular Astronomy Club Sunday at the Sky Ridge Observatory, Coaltown Rd., south of Moline.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- After a brief meeting Friday afternoon, Deere And Co. and United Auto Workers negotiators recessed contract talks until Aug. 23. A company spokesman would not comment on the content of the meeting, negotiators could not be reached for comment.
Back: Available days in August 2007