Day in history for August 6, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- John Warner, Fred Ridenbaugh, B.J. Cobb, P.W. Gallup, Capt. Phillips and others who have recently returned from a trip to Minnesota, sent us a fine string of speckled trout.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- C.B. Knox, a guard on the government bridge, yesterday caught a 65-pound catfish and it was not considered a particularly good day for fishing, either.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island police made 88 arrests during the month of July. Magistrate J.E. Elliott collected $361.75 in fines.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Word was received in Rock Island today that Secretary of War Patrick J. Hurley has approved the allotment of $186,000 for operation and care of the Hennepin Canal during the coming fiscal year. The allocation is approximately the same as last year.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island today honored David Junchen, the 11-year-old quiz whiz from Sherrard. David won on a tie and $32,000 on the TV show '$64,000 Challenge.' David also stopped at city hall, where Mayor Warren Yerger handed him a key to the city.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineersis is proposing that a hydroelectric plant be installed at Lock and Dam 14 near LeClaire, and says it could start cutting local utility bills in about five years.
Back: Available days in August 2007