Day in history for August 5, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Good watermelons were for sale by Mr. Dayo at his market opposite the City Hotel yesterday.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Next Monday the new Cable waterworks will be given their final test. It is the intention of Superintendent Kramer to pump 4,000,000 gallons in 24 hours.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Lieutenant Col. Frank E. Hobbs, the new commanding officer of Rock Island Arsenal, arrived in Rock Island last night and took command at the Arsenal this morning.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- A resolution urging the city councils of Rock Island, Davenport, Moline and East Moline to take action toward reduction of rates charged on electric lights, gas and telephones in the Quad-City area, was adopted by the Tri-City Federation of Labor last night.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Several hundred spectators joined Davenport's small boat operators yesterday in dedicating new Credit Island Harbor boating facilities under a Davenport Levee Commission. A two-mile long string of decorated boats paraded from the main channel into the long harbor.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The downtown Business Association of Rock Island wants the city coucil to lower the fees for day-long parking in Rock Island. The recommendations came in response to a continuing downtown parking problem in Rock Island.
Back: Available days in August 2007