Day in history for August 31, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The work of digging canals for sidewalks is coming along very well, but it would seem to us that the best way would be to handle the street first.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Stars of Rock Island played the Boys in Blue of Moline yesterday at Sylvan Island with the game ending in favor of the Stars 20-12.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The romantic drama, 'To Die at Dawn,' and the sensational comedy, 'An Aristocratic Tramp,' have been booked to play at the Illinois Theater next week.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Gust J. Smith, Rock Island, retired today after almost 43 years of service with the Rock Island Lines.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- When 25-year-old Donald Schmidt, a victim of muscular dystrophy, received his new special wheelchair at Oak Glen Convalescent Home, he said, 'It's a Cadillac, and I used to have a Ford.' The new chair was presented to Donald to make his life more comfortable by the Rock Island County Chapter, Muscular Dystrophy Association of America, Inc.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- It sent more soldiers to World War II and Korea than any other area of comparable size in the U.S. and eight of them didn't come back alive. That's why Hero Street in Silvis will be the focal point of a slide and sound presentation on the Hispanic community's contributions to U.S. war efforts.
Back: Available days in August 2007