Day in history for August 30, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- There was a most disgraceful row and drunken fight in the Third Ward recently and some of the persons involved were thrown in jail. These scrapes are dignified by the name of 'ball' or 'cotillion party'.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Fay Templeton Company presented Audran's comic opera, 'Olivette,' at Harper's Theater. Miss Templeton was particularly piquant and bewitching.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Plans for the annual Labor Day celebration were announced by J.W. Cavanaugh, marshal for the day. There will be a laborers parade in the morning and picnic at Suburban Island in the afternoon.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Gorilla Jones of Akron, Ohio, soundly drubbed Kid Leonard in a 10-round boxing match at the Palmer School arena. About 1,500 fans witnessed the fight.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Production workers at the Rock Island Millwork Co. were on the job as usual today after voting to accept a company offer for a wage increase of three cents an hour across the board.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Four Quad-Cities area residents were killed when a small single-engine plane crashed about 10 p.m. Sunday, 10 miles north of Burlington near Dodgeville. Killed were the pilot, Roger Cathcart, and his wife, Carol, of Port Byron; Gerald Herman of Moline and Chester Plumb of Port Byron.
Back: Available days in August 2007