Day in history for August 29, 2007

1857 -- 150 years ago
Attention is requested to the notice of a select school. Those who wish their children placed under competent and faithful instructors should avail themselves of the opportunity before the class is filled.

1882 -- 125 years ago
O.J. Dimock will soon erect a carriage repository on 3rd Ave. It will be an extensive building and will improve the appearance of that portion of the city.

1907 -- 100 years ago
Rock Island County Old Settlers at their 42nd annual reunion today voted to erect a monument to Colonel George Davenport on the Rock Island Arsenal Island, similar to that erected by the Indians.

1932 -- 75 years ago
A milk strike in the Quad-City area, called for tomorrow morning by the Quality Milk Assn. of Rock Island, Henry, Mercer, Scott, Clinton and Muscatine Counties, has apparently been averted.

1957 -- 50 years ago
Twelve miles east of Galesburg, the Illinois Police Assn., a benevolent organization of more than 20,000 members, is moving in with bulldozers, architects and cash to construct Sherwood Youth Camp for underprivileged children of the state.

1982 -- 25 years ago
The Quad-City unemployment rate rose to 14.7 percent in July, the second highest rate in 20 years of Illinois Job Service recordkeeping.

Back: Available days in August 2007



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)