Day in history for August 28, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The finest lot of pears we ever have seen in Rock Island is to be found at Deyo's fruit and vegetable store opposite the City Hotel.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The band concert in Union Square last night was a most enjoyable affair.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The work of paving 7th Avenue from 38th Street east to the city limits is rapidly completed. The avenue is the first in Rock Island to be made a boulevard, and the result is being watched with interest.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. Rodney F. Cobb, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, Rock Island, returned from a seven-week trip to Japan cities as a member of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew pilgrimage party.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Islanders are paying much more then they realize, according to figures released by the Tax Foundation. In Rock Island, where the gross income averaged $7,500 per family, the net earnings after income taxes was $6,286. But the total tax bite, including hidden taxes, averaged $2,530 per family.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- It started seven years ago with only two name entertainers, a crowd of about 10,000 and a group of civic-minded residents feeling their way along. This year, the Silvis Country Music Festival will feature five big-name country acts and is expected to draw 30,000 fans.
Back: Available days in August 2007