Day in history for August 27, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- There will be a meeting at the courthouse to take preliminary measures for the establishment of a lyceum in this city. All interested are invited to attend.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Directors of the Rock Island and Moline street car line held a meeting and decided to construct a double tram rail track on the bridge over the Rock River.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The heavy rainfall last night broke all local Weather Bureau records for precipitation in a given period of time. In 15 minutes, 1.1 inches of rain fell and in the last 24 hours, 1.94 inches.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Traffic officials of the Inland Waterways Corp. have been in Rock Island interviewing shippers in connection with plans for inauguration of the Quad City metropolitan switching district.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Mayor Warren C. Yerger of Rock Island declared he has complete confidence in financial reports of two existing city officials despite charges made by Conny Bodine, ousted city manager, that figures on potential shortages in the capital improvement fund are 'completely false on purpose.'
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission agreed to expand the Quad-Cities urban area boundary, making several areas, including Carbon Cliff and Green Rock, eligible for federal highway funds.
Back: Available days in August 2007