Day in history for August 26, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The members of the Rock Island Horn Band are asked to meet at the courthouse Wednesday at 7 p.m.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A tent containing a female Sampson is attracting a large number of rural visitors to the city.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A large number of good entries have been received by the Twin-City Trotting Assn. for the racing which opens tomorrow at the 9th St. track.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Esther Sundberg of Madrid, Iowa, has accepted the call to become dean of women at Augustana College. She had more than 14 years of teaching experience in grade and high schools in Iowa and Michigan.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- An estimated 25,000 people consumed 5,000 pounds of fish at the seventh annual New Boston fish fry. The hungry thousands devoured 400 loaves of bread and gallons of coffee made in a big water tank. A new attraction this year was a midway. Performers of Royal American Shows presented acts both days.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- They tried to sell a little bit of history, but no one was willing to pay the price. The 52-year-old Paradise Theater, Moline, was put on the auction block by owner Abe Brotman, but the high bid of $12,500, offered by Steve Simmon of Rock Island, was too low. Simmon said he wants to open a children's theater.
Back: Available days in August 2007