Day in history for August 23, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We understand that a calf was shot in Union Square yesterday under the supposition that it was mad. Why doesn't the marshal go on with the dog-killing?
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Oliver Olson was elected president of the Rock Island Electric Light Co. at a meeting of the directors. C.E. Hawley was named secretary and J.T. Robinson, treasurer.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Several hundred Rock Island Masons attended the annual picnic of the Rock Island and Scott County Masonic Association. held yesterday afternoon at Suburban Island.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Two men who have served nearly four decades in the head office of the Modern Woodmen of America, Rock Island, will retire from active service Sept. 1, J.G. Ray, head clerk, announced today. The two are Frank A. Graves, chief of the suspension department, and Millard T. Stevens, chief of the junior department.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. Sam Geifman, Davenport, has been appointed president of the Beth Israel Sisterhood of the Tri-City Jewish Center to fill the unexpired term of Mrs. Reuben Esrick. Mrs. Geifman has served on the executive board for several years.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Quad-Cities hospitals are being advised in a study by the Greater Quad-City Hospital Council to reduce overhead by reducing their number of beds.
Back: Available days in August 2007