Day in history for August 19, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We notice surveyors running their lines on the levee to connect the Peoria Railroad track with the Chicago And Rock Island. We hope the city council will not allow any such thing to be accomplished.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The prohibition amendment in Iowa has driven a large number of thirsty people to this city. All of the vacant stores have been rented for saloons and the demand still is on the increase.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The wreck of the government dredge, Phoenix, recently burned at the dock in Rock Island.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The $50,000 earthen levee, proposed for Rock Island Arsenal in connection with the $5,500,000 roller dam and locks project in the Mississippi River, may be constructed from funds allocated under the emergency relief bill recently passed by Congress.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Six members of the Rock Island County Barracks No. 410, Veterans of World War I, attended the eighth district meeting in Peoria yesterday. Robert Upton, A.E. Welliver, Earl Hodge, Oscar Herneren, Glen Reed and Wilbur Chamman made the trip.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- William A. Hewitt, internationally know industrialist and for the last 27 years chief executive officer of Deere And Co., has been nominated by President Reagan to be ambassador to Jamaica.
Back: Available days in August 2007