Day in history for August 18, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The well known tavern stand on Front Street, the Pennsylvania House, is offered for sale. It is in good order and will be sold cheap.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Work on the Rock Island and Milan street railway is progressing at a rapid rate. Track is now being laid at several points and most of the grading has been completed.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The board of First Methodist Church, Rock Island, voted unanimously to request the Rev. Edwin G. Sandmeyer to remain as pastor of the church.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- 12-year-old Lowel Lorenz of Silvis received a fracture of his right leg when his foot slipped into a deep rut with such force as to snap the bone, while he was attending the circus in East Moline.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Plans for a $75,000 downtown whiteway system were abandoned at a meeting of city officials and several property owners. Mayor Frank J. Esposito announced disappointment in the apparent death of the plan. He said the lights would have been a distinct step in the growth of the East Moline business district.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- An East Moline alderman says United Township High School has violated the 1973 agreement deeding the stadium to the district by refusing to allow the East Moline-Silvis AMVETS post to stage its fireworks show there next year.
Back: Available days in August 2007