Day in history for August 17, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We have had a good deal of rain in this city over the past week and yesterday afternoon there was a very heavy shower. Fears are entertained that the shocked wheat will be badly damaged.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island has organized another cooking club of young married women who propose to give their husbands some food to eat that is different.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- It was announced today that the Acme Packer Co. will move its general passenger headquarters from Rock Island to Quincy. It has been in Rock Island for the past five years.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Three delegates from Rock Island American Legion Post 200 received appointments on state committees at the annual convention of the Illinois Department which closed last night in Danville.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Eight men were hospitalized as a result of their efforts to save a barn containing 30 tons of smoldering chopped hay on the Clyde Swanson farm 5 1/2 miles northeast of Viola this morning.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Gregory A. Knott, Moline, has been appointed to serve on President Reagan's Private Sector Survey on Cost Control in the federal goverment. Knott, a computer processing manager at Deere And Company, will serve on one of 35 task forces to search for ways to reduce government waste.
Back: Available days in August 2007