Day in history for August 16, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Donelson's new book is published and can be had at the Warren Book Store.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A number of counterfeit silver dollars are in circultion in this city. Although authorities are trying to trace them, they have had no success.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The new Davenport Memorial fountain for Long View Park arrived from the New York foundry today and the work of setting it up in the park will begin tomorrow.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Four directors were reelected for three years each and two other directors were elected to unexpired terms through August 1933, at the annual meeting of the stock holders of the Black Hawk Building and Loan Assn. last night in Rock Island.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island city employees will sponser a party Wednesday noon, Sept 4, honoring Nicholas J. Hoeltzner, assistant water superintendent, for his completion of 50 years of service in the Water Department.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is seeking bids for work on the second stage of the Milan flood levee. The project will protect Milan and the Big Island Conservancy District from 200-year floods on the Mississippi and Rock Rivers. Work on the first stage already is under construction.
Back: Available days in August 2007